Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bunco Pozole

On the second Thursday of each month, I join a group of eleven other women and play the game Bunco.  I love Bunco nights.  The game is easy and fun, the company is amazing, the kids are at home with their dad... but my very favorite part is the food.  Each month a different person hosts at their house and is also responsible for providing dinner, dessert and drinks.

I have been playing Bunco with this group since October of 2011, and let me tell you... these women can cook.  I look so forward to not only not having to prepare a meal for me and my family that night, but to chowing down on someones amazing creations!

Last month, the lovely Marianne hosted and made amazing pozole!  I have had pozole before, and always thought it was just so-so.  Never enough flavor and too much broth.  When I tasted this recipe though, my mouth started to do the cha-cha-cha.  I waited for a couple of days to pass, then hounded Marianne over email for the recipe.  To my delight, she quickly obliged and I made it that weekend.  It was a complete hit, times four!  I hope it is a hit at your house too.

I do have a question though... can anyone clarify this for me?  Is it "posole", or "pozole", or both?  Either way, it's delicious, healthy and easy!


Bunco Pozole
(serves 4-6)

1 T. olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
2 (15 oz.) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and diced
3 c. organic chicken broth
One (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted, diced tomatoes, with juice
Half of a cooked rotisserie chickenSalt and pepper
Nonfat Greek yogurt
Lime wedges
Sliced avocados, sliced green onions, and chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Heat olive oil in a soup pot, add onions and saute until tender.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and saute for about a minute to toast spices.
Add hominy and jalapeno and stir to blend with spices.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes, or until soup is the consistency you prefer.
Ladle into bowl, top with a dollop of yogurt and squeeze lime juice on top.  Stir, and if desired, add optional garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment